Friday, September 17, 2010

textbooks gaga

Lots of textbooks used in courses here, and they're significantly more pocket-pinching than textbooks in Singapore. Explains why exchange students in NUS don't even bat an eyelid yet buy the whole host of textbooks for our modules. And brand new! But anyway, on the flip side, having so many textbooks also means that I have so much interesting reading material on my desk. Which injects doses of happiness into me. Cos most of my textbooks aren't those instructive types. Instead I have anthologies and many issue-specific books that read almost like story books(:

SOCI3801W: Political Sociology
The 'W' at the end of this course's code makes this a writing course. 'W' is like a requirement for students here, and they've to take some outside of their major so there's quite a mix of people taking this class. Classes alternate between peer editing writing workshops and going through readings. Generally the readings will provide us with the theme upon which we're to write our next paper. So assignments for this class is pretty much never-ending; once you're done with one you start on the next. Quite intense. But I guess writing modules tend to be that way. Luckily I've been pre-prepared by UWC (:

SOCI3823: Sociology of Law: Global Comparative Perspectives
Honors course, so students participate a lot a lot. Everyone has something to say and itches to say it out loud. I've missed a couple of sessions of this class cos it's my earliest and the venue is all the way across campus (i know i know, these aren't valid excuses =P). We'll be taking a class excursion to Amherst College in October for the Northeast Law and Soc conference. Looking forward to it (:

PHIL3226: Philosophy of Law
The most straight forward yet nuanced class that I'm taking. Reading material's basically one fat anthropology and the class is divided into themes as in the book. But the stuff inside, boy are they mentally exhausting! I keep feeling sleepy in the 1st part of the class only to be jolted awake half way and by then class is almost over =P maybe cos it's right after lunch time? =/

POLS2998: Democratization and Development
My only Pol Sci department-offered course. Quite straightforward, couple of papers to write for it and NO final exam \0/ it's my latest class though, 6.30 to 9pm, and at the end of my longest day, so I get fidgety (again, no excuse. but still. =P)

ANTH1006: Intro to Anthro
Honors class again, so students yak away constantly. Prof's one of those quirky types - he sorted his mail in front of us (dating back to April 2010) and gave away textbooks he'd received but didn't want to students in the class, according to who could guess the number he was thinking of. Made us say "I'm 5 years old and I'm proud of it" in class and asked us to sing along to John Lennon's "All You Need Is Love" at the end of class the other day.

my treasure trove~

No comments: