Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Yoga Baba

I've been trying out yoga since around November last year starting with an online promo trial with Sadhana Sanctuary (that makes it almost 4 months now!) and just had the most amusing session yesterday evening.

It was my first time trying the Chakra Yoga class at Real Yoga (indeed, my first time trying a "chakra" class anywhere) and I'd gone alone to finish up my sessions for the month-long trial. It was a small class, there were fewer than 10 people, and the instructor was in a baggy t-shirt and baggy belted pants, which is not normal attire for most yoga instructors I've encountered. In fact I didn't realize he was the instructor and proceeded to amble around the studio adjusting my mat when he was already inside  (also ambling around).

It was a fast-paced class, and most if not all of the other students were regulars or had taken this class before. There was a sense of familiarity between the instructor and the students; he referred to some of them by name, joked around and was familiar with their individual abilities (and consequentially, when to assist in pushing them just that bit deeper into the pose or in the case of the splits, further 'out' of the pose I guess?).

I was immediately identified as a novice and given the 'initiation treatment' of him asking if I will come back for this class while holding my foot up to an insane stretch during a pose. I learnt some new poses I've never tried before, and figure "chakra" should mean something like "spinal balance" since we were doing mostly spine lengthening / alignment and strength / balancing poses the whole way. We also did head stands, at varying levels of pro-ness, mine being the most basic (feet kicked up towards the wall for support) while the others got into the pose unassisted and some tried the hand stand with minimal assistance.

The instructor came around and did what reminded me of the Thai massage back crack on me a couple of times during relevant poses, and while it felt kind of good to crack out those side aches, this morning I'm back to the familiar sensation of aching muscles adjacent to the spine, and all along it. I'd imagine a good massage could ease out those kinks (and feel super shiok) but is it ironic to need a massage after a yoga session? I thought yoga would relieve, rather than introduce aches? Maybe this is the muscles on my back strengthening, all the better for doing future bridges and other back-intensive poses. My splits are almost there, though they'd probably improve with more practice (bounce, bounce, bounce) and I need to work on the squaring of my pelvis (big butt syndrome).

Another yoga session tonight; Hot Yoga (which after the initial apprehension I have found to be quite refreshing although I sweat like crazy which makes even the downward dog tough to hold some times) at True Yoga with the girls. Our fortnight-long trial ends today, and we're considering signing up for a month-long Hot Yoga trial with Ziva Yoga after this. Coordination promises to be a nightmare though! We shall see.

No comments: