Sunday, October 16, 2011

ie internship lessons

One of the things I kind of love about a new thing I learnt from my internship with the Americas desk at IE is the way Latin American people greet. They do like an almost-hug cheek-to-cheek thing which I find absolutely adorable somehow. Though they might sound similar, the Latin American version is less effusive than the French cheek kissing (unless I have been exposed to an inaccurate representation of the French cheek kissing). I wish I have occasion to greet this way! Wouldn't really fly with most Singaporeans though; unfortunately it would be so weird.

A handshake's too formal, a hug may be too enthusiastic but a cheek-to-cheek manages to indicate familiarity and affection just right. Totally loving it. I don't do it right though - on the occasions during internship when I tried it - when I get that close to most people it's usually for a hug so I'm not used to the restrain required to just lightly almost-hug. Practice makes perfect though... so bring on the Latinos ;) ;)

Why am I thinking about kissing and Latinos when my ISM is in the drain-that-leads-to-academic-death and week freakin 10 is less than a day away???

No comments: